Saturday, March 7, 2009

Road less taken, anyone?

Gosh, its around 5am. Me eyes are still as wide as an owl. In any case, read the poem below.

===========================================
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

===========================================

Seems familiar? Nostalgic, innit? This piece of literature, written by Robert Frost, was my 2nd favourite when I studied English literature in Form 5. Numero uno was Shakespeare's sonnet. Shakespeare's sonnets and his anthologies of poems were pieces of beautifully rendered and composed literature art. Almost legendary. So deep and intricate, and cleverly depicts the story that Shakespeare was trying to tell. Well, I'm no Shakespearean, but that's how Shakespeare's poems appeal to me.

Sorry I digress. What I want to talk about today is Robert Frost's "The Road Less Taken". To me, this is a quite clear-cut literature, but the poet himself admitted that this is a tricky poem, at least, this is what wikipedia told me. But nevertheless, allow my to present my humble, but idiotic interpretation of this poem.

For me, this poem signifies the nostalgic of the persona, when he looks back to the path he took just as he started out his journey into adulthood. Looking at the path with him, he carefully examines and reconnoiter the available paths to him. Exactly what most ppl around my age shouldn't be doing. Most should have carefully thought up their plans for the future, and should be wheeling and dealing to achieve their dream.

And through the wiki, I found out there's the ironical interpretation of the poem. The irony is, the ironical (pardon the pun,its unintended) interpretation could just be what I'm feeling now.

No comments: